16 October 2022

First army infantry unit, command group, and terrain boards upgrade

While making steady progress with my first army infantry unit, I have been working on General Graham’s command group, and finally turned my attention to upgrading my terrain boards.

I have made some progress with the figures I have been looking forward to doing for some time (link), a spirited set in mêlée, which capture a sense of the action seen in many of the contemporary eyewitness drawings and published prints.

I’ve had Perry Miniatures’ personality figures (SB1) and the mounted infantry officers (SB2) for a while now, and thought to paint up mounted figures for Graham, an officer from his staff, a red flag bearer, and a handful of officers on foot. The red flag bearer is a conversion of one of the mounted infantry officers from SB2, with an arm from the plastic infantry set (VLW 1 British Infantry in Afghanistan and Sudan 187785). The flag is tin foil, shaped to look as it would when not caught by a breeze.

The terrain boards are a set of 610mm x 305mm I had made last year. They complement a set of 610mm x 610mm boards I have had for ages (link), and the plan is to use them to give more flexibility in terms of table layout. They were ordered to match the boards I already had, but arrived looking a bit too green, which has persuaded me to completely repaint them. I am using a mixture of household emulsion and play pit sand, which results in a paste which provides a gritty texture when applied with a roller. It will be interesting to see how it comes up when dry brushed with lighter colours.

Top to bottom: my first army infantry unit, General Graham and his staff, with mini-me on the left, and terrian boards drying out.

No comments:

Post a Comment