20 March 2021

Terrain: dwellings, trees, and hills

After getting out my terrain boards and ordering some additional features, I have pressed on with modelling hills and making more small trees.

I’m quite excited about the new terrain boards (sad, I know), which will provide a set of narrow boards for extending the gaming area. There will also be a wadi, a feature exploited successfully by the Madists on more than one occasion.

Six of the eight boards I have, all 610mm x 610mm (2' x 2'). The new boards are half this width, which will provide quite a bit of flexibility length-wise and width-wise.


The Renedra mud brick houses. I joined the short wall sections to make a longer feature.


Acacia trees, getting that windswept look …


… I’ve planted a few more … picture wire and clump foliage.


I’m re-modelling a couple of old Tiger Terrain hills with polystyrene, Polyfilla, and cork, to give a rocky appearance and more elevation …


… with scree slopes …

4 comments:

  1. These are looking good, a walk through on your tree building would be a neat article.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!

    Okay … it’s a very simple process, which seems too simple for a step-by-step … in lieu:

    I’m using brass picture hanging wire, which I cut to length allowing for the ‘branches’ and the ‘roots’ in pretty much equal lengths.

    I spread the wire out at the base and fix with Araldite, allowing it to go rock hard before spreading ground texture (eg Vallejo sandy paste) over the base.

    Paint the trunk and branches, then apply PVA to the wire and add small foliage clumps. I do this in three stages, usually, allowing each application of foliage to dry before adding the next.

    Once set and firm, the branches and foliage can be shaped. For the acacia I flatten these, then angle the trunk for the windswept look.

    Ta-daaa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for that, very cool. Araldite appears to be epoxy, which version do you use? Take care and thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Araldite is a two-part epoxy, and I am using the Ultra variety.

    ReplyDelete