18 March 2021

Armstrong RBL 40pdr on naval carriage

Serendipity to the rescue! An unexpected post on the Facebook The Men Who Would Be Kings Fan Group highlighted an ebay source for a 28mm scale Armstrong RBL 40pdr. A quick look revealed a small range of what appear to be resin castings perfect for this era.

I ordered a 40pdr and a RML 64pdr naval casement parapet cannon. Comparison with photographs of the armed train improvised by sailors from HMS Hecla and HMS Invincible in 1882 suggested the parapet cannon carriage would be suitable for conversion.

Now to aquire the rolling stock.

Armstrong 40pdr on naval carriage adapted to the railway flat car by sailors from HMS Hecla.


View from the other side. These two photographs provide plenty of detail for the model. Note the ship’s name plate on the front.


The resin components from two kits, with the Armstrong 40pdr barrel in the foreground, and a Perry Miniatures’ Naval brigade Garder gun crew member for scale.
I bought some wire rope. Although this is intended for use as scale steel tow rope (for AFVs etc), I think it will be easier to manipulate into the requred shapes than actual scale rope.

4 comments:

  1. I’m eagerly looking forward to your progress on this train. I too plan to build one that I could use for the Sudan, NWF, Boxer Rebellion, and the 2nd Boer War, etc...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many many many years ago I made a Boer War armoured train, following articles by Terrance Wise in Airfix Magazine (I still have the issues). It was based on Airfix rolling stock and their pannier tank engine. Those were the days …

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those were the days.... LOL, now get to building sir.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I plan to begin modelling the gun and carriage this weekend.

    ReplyDelete