26 December 2020

Perry Miniatures – a critique

Let me begin by stating that I like the twin’s figures, a lot. They are full of human qualities and many great details. But, when preparing them for painting I am constantly noticing the variable nature of the castings. Some issues have been insurmountable, resulting in return of the figures for replacement (and an excellent service too).

Sometimes it seems to me that the sculpting is unfinished, usually a matter of definition or surface quality. In particular I have noticed how some Beja figure’s feet sometimes have a heavy appearance, with an undefined arch. The camel riders suffered this to a degree which required careful rectification with a scalpel and needle file – re-sculpting to give a more anatomically correct appearance. I don’t think these are all casting matters, although the replacement Naval Brigade figures (made from new moulds) were significantly sharper and cleaner.

Flash is a variable feature, and mould lines are for the most part slight, except for the camels, which had all sorts of non-anatomical contours on the insides of their rear legs, which required careful filing.

Rifles, bayonets, spears and swords almost always need straightening, a task requiring great care if deformation of detail and form is to be avoided; twisted rifles, or, as documented in an earlier post [link], gun barrels, can present particular challenges.

The plastic figures are generally well defined, with many surprising subtleties, eg the Ansar drummer’s fingers [link], and I welcome the lower cost of collecting the many Mahdist warriors I shall need, of course.

By now I am committed to their Sudan range; I just hope they will fulfil my wish list [link].

The correction house: pliers, scalpel, needle file,
wet and dry … this won’t hurt a bit.


No comments:

Post a Comment