30 June 2020

Oliver pattern water bottles

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am considering enlisting Perry Miniatures’ plastic British Infantry (Afghanistan and Sudan 1887–1885) to the ranks of my Sudan field force. Soldiers serving in the Sudan would have been equipped with the ‘Oliver’ pattern water bottle, which is quite different from the type the figures are moulded with. Initially this seemed to be a minor consideration, but as I thought about it I began to consider a conversion.

Firstly, I bought an infantry frame on ebay in order to explore feasibility, which would involve the careful removal of the moulded water bottle and substitution with a metal one.

I had already bought a set of helmets, packs, rifles, and Oliver pattern water bottles from Empress Miniatures’ Zulu Wars range. I’m going to need rather more than the six bottles included, so I advertised on the Lead Adventure forum, which has yielded an further ten … so far.

The water bottle was a coopered barrel manufactured in Turin by Guglielminetti Brothers. The bands and stopper were galvanised iron, making it relatively heavy for its capacity of one quart, or two pints (just over a litre).

The infantry frame and the Oliver pattern water bottles.


The water bottle which needs removing, and its replacement.
Surgery complete …


… not too shabby.



No comments:

Post a Comment