24 February 2020

Infantry unit sizes and basing

I have been thinking about the sizes of my units from a number of perspectives: the number of figures specified by the rules I am considering (The Men Who Would Be Kings and Black Powder); the number of figures and different poses in each of Perry Miniatures’ packs; appearance – which will look right on the table; and cost.

With Blu Tack at the ready, and working with the figures I have so far, I considered: six other ranks plus two command figures, twelve other ranks plus two command figures, and eighteen other ranks plus two command figures. The six plus two option was for Naval Brigade detachments, since historically these units were usually small; but this just looked a bit mean when the figures were placed together on bases.

For now I have settled on twelve plus two for Naval Brigade detachments (I have enough figures for two of these), and eighteen plus two for other infantry companies (although I could see these going to twent-two plus two command figures).

I also need a couple of sergeants with fixed bayonets, so I will order an infantry command pack too. All this means that there will be a few spare figures, but I am certain these will find their way into other units or vignettes.

These combinations look right to me, should work with both sets of rules, and give a good visual distinction between the strengths of units from the different services.

I am likely to base four figures on a 60mm x 60mm base. This will give a slightly open looking deployment, which is informed by a post of Mike Snook’s on the (sadly, now defunct) Victorian Wars forum:

I have allowed a hypothetical one yard per two-rank file in calculating frontages, which is obviously an extra foot over the 24 inches of the ‘infantry drill’. There’s [sic] really two reasons for that. First this isn’t the drill square at Horse Guards, (where nobody fires volleys); rather it’s an undulating piece of rock-strewn desert. People give themselves that little bit more room to prevent the constant jostling effect that would otherwise arise from being dead shoulder to shoulder. Secondly, in order to fire, the book states that the rear rank men in the file come up on the left side of the front rank men. I have estimated the effect of these two things as being an extra foot per file. To be clear: two soldiers to each three feet of frontage where a company has turned towards the enemy and intends to fire a volley.

Naval Brigade, wearing sennet hats: six ratings plus two command figures.
Naval Brigade, wearing caps: twelve ratings plus two command figures.
The fellow on the left will be armed with a Martini-Henry rifle, which needs a sling and a cutlass bayonet.

No comments:

Post a Comment