08 March 2020

Infantry units: to mix or not to mix

I have been thinking about the mix of figures for my RMLI and infantry companies, in particular the level of uniformity in the poses.

I have figures firing and loading from Perry Miniatures infantry firing line (SB9) and standing volley firing (SB10), and infantry in melee (SB12), so, Blu Tack at the ready once again, I thought to experiment with mixing the figures to see which I preferred the appearance of.

One of my objectives is to achieve some of the characteristics of the eye witness drawings published in The Illustrated London News, many of which are reproduced in Mike Snook’s excellent Go Strong into the Desert (highly recommended if you are interested in this era).

I also have an eye on future purchases, and the poses I am considering, particularly for Highland (Black Watch) and Mounted Infantry (KRRC) units, the former charging and the latter skirmishing. I am considering a box of plastic infantry to represent a company of the Royal West Kents, my late father’s regiment.

My preference is for a more standardised approach, for these two units, at any rate.

RMLI company with a mixture of volley firing, reloading, and melée poses.
Infantry company with a mixture of volley firing, reloading, and melée poses.
RMLI company with volley firing and reloading poses.
Infantry company with melée poses.

No comments:

Post a Comment