25 May 2022

RML 2.5 inch 7 pounder screw gun battery

While contemplating the challenge of painting various kinds of grey stallions for the 19th Hussars, I decided to begin work on my screw gun battery.

I have read that these handy artillery pieces were transported on three sturdier camels (which meant that the barrel could be carried without disassembly by one animal, the carriage and wheels by two more). Once deployed they could fire explosive shells, shrapnel rounds, or case shot.

I plan a battery of two pieces, with three crew figures each, and a battery commander. I have made some minor modifications to two of the crew figures so that each group will look different enough.

These guns are so small that I have decided to paint them prior to assembly.

A future modelling project is a screw gun in transit, for which I have the components – I just need the time.

Minor modiciations using hands and arms from the Perry Miniatures’ plastic Sudan/Afghanistan British infantry set, and the crew and guns ready for priming. That’s Private Thomas Edwards on the end, soon to join a pair of Naval Brigade ammunition mules.

No comments:

Post a Comment