17 April 2021

Armed train Armstrong 40pdr: components

I want to try and make a reasonably accurate job of the 40pdr for the armed train. I have spent quite a lot of time researching this model – detailing is important if one is going to accept the cost and make the effort.

On the subject of cost, the two models that I have canibalised were £17, and wire rope, hooks, and blocks came to a further £20. That’s quite a lot for such a small model. I reckon the locomotive and rolling stock will cost around £100, and there will be furtheer costs for detailing parts.

Here’s some information on the operation of the armed trains, from the foresnsic Report of the British Naval and Military Operations in Egypt, 1882 (p182 onwards):
Link

The modified gun and carriage with components ready for assembly. The blocks are slightly overscale, but will work, I think. Rigging the blocks will be a challenge …

No comments:

Post a Comment