05 July 2021

Time travel: December 1984

I have a set of jpegs snatched from a blog of an article about the Suakin Field Force of 1884–85, by Michaael Barthorp, published in the December 1984 issue of Military Modelling. It’s full of detail and has some great illustrations, and spot-on for my interest in this era; I wanted a copy for my book shelves.

At the end of last week I chanced on a copy on ebay, which I snapped up. It arrived this morning. It’s in excellent condition given its age, and joins many vintage magazines that I collected when younger, including Airfix Magazine, Battle for Wargamers, and Modelworld.

It takes me back … right back. In December 1984 I was 23 and coming towards the end of the first term of my masters. Seems like a life-time ago.

Cover and spreads from Military Modelling December 1985.

No comments:

Post a Comment